The Infrequent Operator Program is intended for companies that do not operate regularly at the airport. The Infrequent Operator Program also serves for those permitted companies that wish to use a vehicle that does not have an AVI tag on an infrequent basis.
PLEASE NOTE: Infrequent Operator permits must be obtained by the company. The company must meet all of the Airport requirements listed below. Individual drivers may not obtain Infrequent Operator permits.
All ground transportation providers operating at the airport without a full permit must obtain in advance a temporary, Infrequent Operator Permit (IOP) for each vehicle to be used and must pay associated fees.
Ground transportation providers holding a full permit and wishing to use a vehicle that does not have the AVI transponder tag required under the full permit must obtain in advance a temporary, Infrequent Operator Permit for each vehicle to be used and must pay associated fees.
Each IOP is valid for twenty four (24) hours from the date and time of purchase. All IOP fees are non-refundable, even in the event of a trip cancellation.
Designated pick-up locations (Curbside pick-ups are not permitted at SJC and violators will be cited.)
- Terminal A and International Arrivals
- Charter Bus Operators – Stop #4 at the GT Island
- Hotel Shuttles – Stop #8 at the GT Island
- Off-Airport Parking – Stop #6 at the GT Island
- Limousines & Couriers – Stop #3 (Pre-Arranged) inside the south end of the Terminal A Parking Garage
- Terminal B
- Charter Bus Operators – Stop #10 at the GT Island
- Hotel Shuttles – Stop #10 at the GT Island
- Off-Airport Parking – Stop #10 or 11 at the GT Island
- Couriers – North end of Hourly & Daily Lot 5 south of Terminal B (Parking Fee applies)
- Limousines – Stop #10 or 11 at the GT Island
If you have additional questions regarding pick-up locations, please make contact with a Curbside Traffic Control Officer and they will be able to further assist you.
To obtain a temporary permit:
- READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS FIRST
Follow the instructions to obtain an IOP for each vehicle to be used.
- Pay associated fees. IOP fees are $25.00 per day. Purchase Infrequent Operator Permit.
By purchasing a temporary permit, you affirm and accept the terms and restrictions of the temporary permit and have all the required authorizations, insurance, etc. required to legally operate at the airport:
- All employees and/or drivers operating at the Airport on the company’s behalf have Workers Compensation Insurance which meets the requirements set forth by the State of California
- All licenses and insurance coverages are current and in the amounts required to operate within the State of California and at the Airport.
- All employees and/or drivers operating at the Airport on the company’s behalf shall conform to the applicable Federal, State and Local regulations, including but not limited to the applicable sections of the Airport’s Ground Transportation Rules and Regulations.
- All employees and/or drivers operating at the Airport shall conform to instructions given by authorized Airport staff.
- Print the receipt of payment.
- Display the printed receipt on the dashboard (next to a waybill) of the associated vehicle while operating at the airport.