The entry period for the National Aviation Week SJC Scavenger Hunt has concluded. Winners will be announced soon.
Saturday, Aug. 19 marks National Aviation Day and the beginning of National Aviation Week. While we celebrate the history and magic of aviation, we also want to celebrate and thank YOU, our beloved passengers!
We’re hosting a National Aviation Week SJC Scavenger Hunt in our terminals from Aug. 19 through Sept. 4, 2023, and you’re invited to join the fun. Below you’ll find instructions on how to play and 10 clues that lead to QR codes throughout the terminals. After you find and scan each code, you can enter for a chance to win a San José Mineta International Airport prize pack (one grand prize valued at $500, and two other prizes valued at $250 and $100).
You can also enter to win SJC swag with our Planespotter Picture Sweepstakes on Instagram.
You’re now cleared for takeoff – good luck and happy hunting!
How To Play
1. Read the clues below and go to the locations they're describing. You’re looking for 11x14 inch signs with QR codes that look like the image below.
2. Once you find a QR code, open the camera app on your smartphone and scan the code.
3. A web page will open. Enter your name and email, and you're officially entered for a chance to win one of the prizes! You can submit one entry per person per clue. (E.g. If you find and scan all 10 clues, you have 10 chances to win!)
Terminal A Pre-Security
- CLUE 1: Need to send a postcard before you take off? Stop by this drop before you head up the escalator.
Terminal A Post-Security
- CLUE 2: With all the adrenaline and excitement that comes with flying, sometimes you need to take a break to ~lounge~ around. You can also watch the 787s arriving and departing internationally in this area.
- CLUE 3: In the 1970s, Southwest became the first airline to offer in-flight snacks like peanuts. But you don’t have to wait till you’re in the air to enjoy some pretzels – you can enjoy hot pretzel bites at this restaurant, along with flatbreads and local brews.
- CLUE 4: Aviation geeks LOVE this window. You get picturesque views of the air traffic control tower. In the distance, you’ll see the old Almaden Air Force Station (aka “The Cube”) atop Mount Umunhum. (Plus, tacos are just a few feet away. That’s not relevant to aviation, but who doesn’t love tacos?)
- CLUE 5: Just like an airplane, this ~tech-y~ display has a lot of moving parts. (Kind of like a plane, it’s also a little noisy.)
Terminal B Pre-Security
- CLUE 6: Now that you’ve landed, it’s time to grab some San José swag to commemorate your adventures through SJC (and maybe a snack, too. Flying makes us hungry).
Terminal B Post-Security
- CLUE 7: This is a kid’s favorite part of SJC. They don’t need a pilot’s license to fly a plane here – just a little imagination! (It’s not required, but some knowledge about the alphabet can be helpful too.)
- CLUE 8: This store near Gate 21 touts itself as the traveler’s best friend. They’ve got neck pillows, magazines, souvenirs, snacks… and model airplanes. It’s National Aviation Week, treat yourself!
- CLUE 9: Not to get too ~CHEESY~… But we just love seeing families and friends bonding on their travels. We think folks will be cooking up lots of happy memories at this brand-new restaurant.
- CLUE 10: If you’d like to conduct more research on the history of aviation, bring your laptop here. It’s peaceful and POWERful. There’s also a picture of a pug – so stop saying “When pigs fly,” and start saying “When pugs fly.”
- One grand prize valued at $500 - Includes a 3-day SJC parking voucher, 2 certificates for The Club SJC, coffee gift card, SJC swag and more
- One prize valued at $250 - Includes a 2-day SJC parking voucher, coffee gift card, SJC swag and more
- One prize valued at $100 - Includes a 2-day SJC parking voucher, coffee gift card and SJC swag
*Up to one entry per clue per person. Open to U.S. residents only. No purchase necessary to win. Entrants must be 18 years or older. SJC’s National Aviation Week Scavenger Hunt is subject to federal, state and local laws and regulations and void where prohibited by law. City of San José employees, its subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, partners, advertising and promotion agencies, and directors (collectively the “Employees”), as well as members of an Employees' immediate family and/or those living in the same household of Employees are ineligible to participate in SJC’s National Aviation Week Scavenger Hunt. The entry period will close on Monday, September 4, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. PDT. The winners will be randomly selected and contacted by email within 10 days. The randomly selected winners will have 48 hours to respond to SJC to claim their prize. If a winner fails to respond within the 48-hour window, that winner will forfeit the prize and a new winner will be randomly selected.