August 19 marks National Aviation Day and the beginning of National Aviation Week.
While we celebrate the history and magic of aviation, we also want to celebrate and thank YOU, our beloved passengers!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED IN OUR FIRST-EVER QR CODE SCAVENGER HUNT! The event has now concluded, winners will be announced soon!
We’re hosting an #SJCAviationWeek Scavenger Hunt* in our terminals from August 19 through August 25, 2022, and you’re invited to join the fun. Below you’ll find instructions on how to play and 10 clues that lead to QR codes throughout the terminals. After you find and scan each code, you can enter for a chance to win a Mineta San José International Airport prize pack (one grand prize valued at $500, and two other prizes valued at $250 and $100). You’re now cleared for takeoff – good luck and happy hunting!
How To Play - The Event is now Closed
1. Read the clues below, and go to the locations they're describing. You're looking for 12x12 inch yellow signs with QR codes.
2. Once you find a QR code, open the camera app on your smartphone and scan the code.
3. A webpage will open. Enter your name and email, and you're officially entered for a chance to win one of the prizes! You can submit one entry per person per clue. (E.g. If you find and scan all 10 clues, you have 10 chances to win).
Terminal A Pre-Security
- CLUE 1: After you've grabbed your baggage, say hi to Ernie! He's a father figure to us, and he keeps an eye on one of the doors now.
Terminal A Post-Security
- CLUE 2: What do all good aviators need? A good pair of aviator sunglasses of course! There's plenty at this ~iconic~ shop.
- CLUE 3: Before you indulge in tacos at Tres Gringos, let your imagination take flight by downloading free eBooks at this nearby location.
- CLUE 4: Stay hydrated while you fly! Drop by this colorful machine for fun water flavors and compostable containers.
- CLUE 5: True story: The first commercial airline flew through SJC in 1949 with a plane filled with baby chickens. However, the history of San José extends much further back than that, and you can learn about it with this beautiful art piece. Don't forget to look up!
Terminal B Pre-Security
- CLUE 6: This large robotic friend loves to greet passengers before they embark on their adventures and explorations.
Terminal B Post-Security
- CLUE 7: The little ones agree: This is a great place to let out the ~zoomies~ before taking off.
- CLUE 8: Hmmm, we need a snack to celebrate this week... Well, I SEE there's a lot of candy over here.
- CLUE 9: When the first aviators were flying, there weren't closed cabins! We're guessing their lips got chapped pretty quickly, and they would have loved to find a BEEautiful vending machine like this one.
- CLUE 10: If you're looking for a calm place to relax, this seat at Gate 19 is a prime (and plush) spot.
- One grand prize valued at $500 - Includes a 3-day SJC parking voucher, gift cards, SJC swag and more
- One prize valued at $250 - Includes a 2-day SJC parking voucher, gift cards, SJC swag and more
- One prize valued at $100 - Includes a 2-day SJC parking voucher, gift cards and SJC swag
*Up to one entry per clue per person. Open to U.S. residents only. No purchase necessary to win. Entrants must be 18 years or older. The SJC Aviation Week Scavenger Hunt is subject to federal, state and local laws and regulations and void where prohibited by law. City of San José employees, its subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, partners, advertising and promotion agencies, and directors (collectively the “Employees”), as well as members of an Employees' immediate family and/or those living in the same household of Employees are ineligible to participate in The SJC Aviation Week Scavenger Hunt. The entry period will close on Thursday, August 25, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. PST. The winners will be randomly selected and contacted by email within 10 days. The randomly selected winners will have 48 hours to respond to SJC to claim their prize. If a winner fails to respond within the 48 hour window, that winner will forfeit the prize and a new winner will be randomly selected.