Flying with pets can be both fun and scary — for you and your animal. To help make your journey a 'walk in the park', we've identified some key pointers to help you navigate our airport. Happy Tails - erm Trails!
Pet Relief Areas at SJC:
Animal relief areas are located both outside and inside the terminals.
- Outside Terminal A, north of ticketing
- Outside Terminal A, south of parking garage
- Outside Terminal B, north of ticketing
- Inside passenger walkway between Gates 16 and 17
SJC Airlines Allowing Animals in the Cabin:
Airlines are constantly changing their regulations regarding animals in cabins. Please contact your airline for more details.
All pets should be brought to the security checkpoint in a hand-held travel carrier. Remove your pet from the carrier just prior to the beginning of the screening process. Place the empty travel carrier on the belt to be x-rayed. Your pet should be carried during the screening process; alternatively, your pet can walk through the process if he/she is on a leash. Once the screening process is completed, return your pet to the travel carrier at the re-composure area, away from the security checkpoint for the safety of your pet as well as other passengers.
Traveling with a service animal? You and your service dog/animal will be screened by a walk-through metal detector. You may walk through together or you may lead the animal through separately on a leash. You will undergo a pat-down if you are not screened by the walk-through metal detector. If the metal detector alarms, you and your service dog/animal will undergo additional screening, including a pat-down.
More information: https://www.faa.gov/travelers/fly_pets/
Tips and Tricks:
- Fill up a water bowl at our water refill stations in both Terminals A and B at Gates 6, 8, 10, 14, 15, 17, 24 and 32.
- Make a luggage tag with your contact information and your pet's name on it for your crate or carrier.